Laitse manor, or Laitz in German, began life as a separate estate in 1642, when it was partitioned from the neighboring Ruila manor. Situating a few dozen kilometers southwest of Tallinn, Laitse has been mentioned as early Henrik’s Livonian Chronicles. The current neogothic manor house was built by Woldemar von Uexküll around 1890. It is a romantic castle, and a romantic spirit was shared by its builder. Uexküll, though, remained the owner of Laitse only until 1999, since his only son had been expunged from knighthood and couldn’t inherit, and his daughter had moved abroad. Thus the estate finally ended up at the hands of the Bremens.