Having selected almost seven pristine acres of meadow and woodland at Hartley Farms for their future home, the owners sought out the design of their home from the firm of HHTA Architects. In seeking the expertise of Hiland Hall Turner, they spoke of their vision for an informal yet elegant home, their affinity for stone and timber and aversion to center-hall conformity. Mr. Edwin C. Heinle, “lead designer” while at HHTA quickly grasped that unbeknownst to the owners, they were describing the aesthetics of the Shingle-Style.
Flourishing in Newport from 1879 to 1916 and expanding as far as the west coast, Shingle Style was architecture of fresh spirit and unbridled expansiveness.
Multiple gables, dormers and varying roof heights reflect Shingle Style’s lack of restraint for any room to fit a symmetrical or axial alignment. Each room is free to shape itself beginning with the home’s central gathering core comprised here of the great room, dining room, conservatory and kitchen. Open to each other, this voluminous space showcases the classic European roots of Shingle Style: coffered ceilings, tall carved wainscoting, wide moldings. In the Leonardis kitchen, cool air flows down from hidden vents in the coffered ceiling. Jerusalem marble is underfoot. Honed marble sweeps across countertops. The appliances are professional and glazed white cabinetry is contrasted with a 10-foot plus pecan-hued island.
Architectural inventiveness soars to a crescendo in the reception gallery and library. Preceded by a foyer with barrel-shaped ceiling, thickset columns define the gallery’s perimeter. Bright white Arts and Crafts paneling sheaths the three-story vertical space. At the second story, aligned Palladian-shaped vantages award a horizontal view from the gallery to the ceiling-high fireplace at the farthest reach of the two-story mahogany library. Inspired by the Long Room at Dublin’s Trinity College, a mezzanine, arrived at via a hidden staircase, frames the library’s elevation.
Luxury continues in the generously dimensioned bedroom suites. A marble bath and dressing area with double custom walk-in closets accompany the first floor master. French doors open from its bedroom to a covered porch and bluestone patio sheltered with wooded surround. Three bedrooms, each with bath and walk-in closets, a sitting room and custom fitted storage rooms reside on the upper level. On the walk-out lower level, a guest (or au pair) suite is tucked away from the expansive media and billiard rooms each as handsomely appointed as the home’s upper levels.
Outdoors, prefaced with a garden courtyard, the carriage house melds the architecture of the main residence with the soul of a Cotswold cottage. A turret juts from a flared gable allowing for a spiraling interior ascend to the structure’s upper floor apartment. Dining and lounging take place there under a four peak cathedral ceiling, the bedroom includes a considerable walk-in closet, and French doors open to Juliet balconies. On the ground level, whimsical ambiance continues to the double barn-style doors fronting the three parking bays.
Providing an essential component to the beauty of this offering is its location at Hartley Farms. Once the home of Marcellus Hartley Dodge (1881-1963), owner and chairman of the Remington Arms Company, the two hundred acre planned community is sited in the southeastern section of Harding Township. Designed with an appreciation for natural beauty and the architectural traditions of the region, Hartley Farms comprises high quality residences set on multi-acre lots, Remington Forest—a 24-acre wildlife refuge, and an 18-acre polo field. Now available to residents for social events, the polo field was once the site of strategic discussions with the War Department concerning the procurement of ammunition for the U.S. and Allied troops during both world wars.
For more information please contact Jean Stivers at (973)441-6711.