This historically significant property overlooks lovely Madison Square, one of the most important squares in the Landmark District of Savannah. The property sits on a trust lot and includes 3 separate structures-over 9,900 square feet in total. The main home, an elegant Greek Revival residence was built by lady-builder Eliza Jewett as her own home in 1842. Architectural historians believe it was designed by John Norris, and lies directly across the square from the Green Meldrin House, General Sherman’s headquarters during the Civil war. The Coastal Heritage Society archeologist, Rita Elliott has also determined that this property was the site of British barracks during the Revolutionary War. The residence, has 5,025 square feet, and is stucco over brick. It retains many of the original architectural features, including a dramatic curving staircase, hand carved Corinthian columns flanking the grand entrance foyer and dividing the double parlors to the right of the foyer. There are 4 gas fireplaces, 3 original marble mantels, beautiful wide plank hardwood floors, and an elevator to all 4 floors. Soaring ceilings and grand scale make this home very special. There is a separate breakfast room off the newly recently renovated kitchen and a wonderful roof garden opening from the breakfast area. The wonderful library and a family room complete the parlor level. The 2nd floor has a spacious master suite overlooking the square, with an adjoining master bath, and a lovely sitting room through a curved archway and sliding door. There is another bedroom on this level as well, with its own full bathroom. The beautiful curving staircase continues to the 3rd floor, with a rounded English-style ocular window above, filtering light into the stairwell. An open hallway leads to a lovely light-filled bedroom with the same dimensions as the master bedroom. There is a full bathroom, two additional bedrooms and a trunk room. There is elevator access to the garden level of the home which has a laundry room and a 2 car garage. It is connects to the adjacent 3,348 square foot retail space, currently housing E. Shaver Bookstore and Maps, one of Savannah’s oldest and best-known independent bookstores. The bookstore has a very attractive store front facing Harris Street, 12 rooms housing the collections, a bathroom and an office behind the main desk area. There is another entrance which has been closed off, but could be used again, if desired, to divide the space into 2 separate retail spaces. There is a 1,590 square foot carriage house with a retail space on the 1st floor. Upstairs in the carriage house is a 1 bedroom, 1 bathroom apartment. Current yearly rent totals for both retail spaces and the carriage house apartment are $72,000. Madison Square was named after James Madison, the fourth President of the United States, and was laid out in 1837. A monument to commemorate Sgt. William Jasper, a Savannahian who lost his life in the Siege of Savannah in 1799 is the centerpiece of the square. A granite marker defines the southern limit of British Defenses. It is a beautiful green space, with towering moss-draped live oak trees, surrounded by history—a truly remarkable location for a truly remarkable property.