Offered for sale freehold for the first time in nearly 300 years Craigcrook Castle is a Grade“B” Listed Castle set under 3 miles from the city centre of Edinburgh. Built originally in 1542 by William Adamson, it was transferred through a number of owners before John Strachan, Writer to the Signet, acquired the castle and left it to the Craigcrook Mortification Trust in 1719. In 1835 the castle was extensively remodelled by WH Playfair. During its time Craigcrook has played host to a number of famous visitors and has strong links to the literary world including Sir Walter Scott, Charles Dickens, Hans Christian Anderson, George Eliot and Alfred Lord Tennyson. The original design set out a tower house that has been extended and adapted throughout the years. The castle is set over 3 storeys and includes a stunning round tower that offers views of Corstorphine Hill, Blackhall and the Firth of Forth. In recent years the castle has been let on a long term lease for commercial purposes and in the 1970’s a single storey L-Shaped annex building was added to the eastern wing of the castle. Since this period the castle has been let and used as office accommodation. The Stables Located in the South eastern corner of the property the Stables are an attractive stone built 2 storey building that lends itself to conversion to a large garage with potential for staff accommodation above. The Gate House Located at the entrance to the Castle, the Gate House comprises a modern building offering 2 bedroom accommodation. The Gate House requires a complete refurbishment and has potential to be demolished and replaced with a larger new build property built of more sympathetic materials to complement the castle. The Grounds The Castle is set within extensive grounds of 1.78 hectares (4.4 acres) which comprise landscaped gardens, mature woodland and attractive lawns set within the original walled garden. Given its close proximity to the city centre the garden offers a very quiet and peaceful retreat from the fast paced life of the Capital. Location Located in Ravelston, one of Edinburgh’s most sought after residential areas, Craigcrook Castle is situated less than 3 miles from Edinburgh City Centre yet it enjoys a tranquil and semi rural position. Accessed by a gated private driveway from Craigcrook Road the castle is bounded by agricultural fields to the North and West, with mature woodland and golf course to the south. A private nursing home bounds the site to the east. Ravelston is a well established and highly sought after residential area located west of Edinburgh city centre. The location allows easy access into the city yet is also conveniently located for the City Bypass and Central Scotland’s motorway network. Edinburgh International Airport is only 6 miles from the Castle and is easily reachable in under 15 minutes by car. Schooling is available within walking distance including Mark Erskine and Stewarts Melville. St Georges School, Edinburgh Academy and Cargilfield are all within easy reach by car. There is an abundance of choice for the sports enthusiast including golf courses at Ravelston and Murrayfield, Murrayfield Ice Rink and numerous sports clubs. The internationally recognised Murrayfield stadium is also located close by. There are also a number of enjoyable walks including Ravelston Woods and Corstorphine Hill. Shopping is located at Craigleith Retail Park which offers both Sainsbury’s and Marks and Spencer.