The Kennebunk Inn is a landmark in Kennebunk, the original structure built in 1799. From the website: The original building of what is now The Kennebunk Inn was built as a private residence by Phineas Cole in 1799, less than thirty years after the founding of the Republic. In 1928, George Baitler converted the private home to a hotel known as "The Tavern", adding a 21/2 story wing to produce a total of 50 guest rooms. In the late 1930s the name of the hotel was changed to The Kennebunk Inn. Today's Kennebunk Inn is home to guests from across the world enjoying the hospitality of the Coast of Maine. The renowned restaurant, Academe, welcomes inn guests as well as the public, living up to its illustrious history as one of the town's most recognized destinations for residents and travelers.