It is cited that it was here that King John, with the protection of a circle of walnut trees and gentle curve of the river, which would keep enemy long bows out of range, met with his rebellious barons (who had camped on the opposite bank of the river on Runnymede meadow) and signed the Magna Carta.
A stone lies today in a specially built Charter Room which forms part of the main Grade II Listed property on Magna Carta Island built by George Simon Harcourt, Esq Lord of the Manor and the Sheriff of the County in 1834. The Charters Room's walls are hung with the crest of King John and those of the 25 barons elected to keep the Magna Carta safe including Richard de Montfichet who was the owner of the island which formed part of the Manor of Wraysbury along with neighbouring Ankerwyke, site of the 2,000 year old yew which also has a royal connection, as it is rumoured to be where Henry VIII conducted his first meetings with Anne Boleyn in the 1530's.
The remainder of the main property , whilst in need of modernisation, (subject to the appropriate planning and building regulation consents) has considerable charm. The magnificent dining room with amazing intricate wooden panelling, seats up 16 people and has an open fireplace and an open aspect across the expansive lawn, swimming pool and includes a tree planted by Queen Elizabeth II in 1974 to mark her visit t this highly historic site during her Royal Progress from Windsor.
The generous hallway leads through to a charming reception room and kitchen/breakfast room off which is the study.
On the first floor are six bedrooms, the master bedroom, as well as a family bathroom. A secondary cottage, located opposite the house, has a reception room, kitchen/breakfast room, one/two bedrooms and a bathroom.
The grounds were mostly laid to an expansive lawn, topiary, yew trees and several important trees, whilst approximately 390 metres of river bank frontage to the Thames provides an ideal mooring for a large launch or river pleasure boat. A small bridge connects the island to the mainland from where road links lead to Windsor, Heathrow and London.
Call John directly on +44 7860 205625