BROWNE’S HILL HOUSE
CARLOW, COUNTY CARLOW, IRELAND
A distinguished and important mid-Georgian mansion positioned overlooking Carlow town and attractively built in warmly coloured granite stone.
Built in 1763 majestic Browne’s Hill House stands above Carlow town, within some 5 acres (2 hectares) of private pleasure grounds, with elevated views to the Killeshin Hills and Wicklow mountains beyond. The carved stone exterior is impressive and sumptuous and the interior extraordinary for both the original detailing and that it has remained largely unaltered since the mid-18th century. A substantial stable yard, again in cut-stone, is positioned a short distance from the house. The grounds are private.
Accommodation within the house extends to some 14,111 square feet or 1,311 square metres and includes 5 principal reception rooms and 16 bedrooms. The stable yard extends to some 14,118 square feet or 1312 square metres and includes two apartments providing an additional 5 bedrooms, subject to any necessary consents, and more could possibly be added. While the entire property requires restoration, the structures appear plumb and there is great potential.
Beautifully symmetrical in design, comprising a 6 bay entrance front with a 2 bay pedimented breakfront, Brown’s Hill House is arranged over 3 storeys above a basement level. Inside the principal reception rooms feature some fine plasterwork with particularly elaborate rococo plasterwork in the drawing room and finely carved foliage plasterwork in the stair hall. The rococo plasterwork features birds in high relief, in the manner of Stoccodore Robert West. The curved entrance hall has a pedimented Doric doorcase and a mutule cornice and frieze of swags. The stair hall is decorated with plasterwork foliage and features the original 18th-century timber staircase. The bow-fronted morning room is perfectly proportioned and while the original library was repurposed as a kitchen in 1961 it still retains the 18th-century fitted bookcase cabinets. The bedroom floors are very much in their original layout and an octagon bedroom is particularly exquisite. Whilst extensive the house retains a homeliness, often not evident in such large houses.
The substantial stable yard is positioned a short distance from the house and comprises a magnificent quadrangular shaped range of cut-granite stone outbuildings. It, like the house, retains much originality but also requires upgrading. Subject to any necessary consent(s) the house and stable yard could have possibilities for alternative uses. The exquisite symmetry displayed in the house design is continued in the stable yard and when combined with the beautiful granite stone is extremely attractive, even in the current disused condition.
Situated on the periphery of Carlow town there is a calming sense of countryside combined with the satisfaction of being close to town amenities and good road connections. Located 52 miles or 84 kilometres from Dublin city centre and benefiting from strong road and rail links Carlow, in addition to its own autonomous industry, has become a successful satellite town of Dublin. The M9 motorway and N80 trunk road are accessible from Carlow. There are also regular train services from Carlow to Dublin, Kilkenny and Waterford cities. .
Carlow town (centre) 2.6 miles or 4.1 km. 9 minutes driving, Carlow train station 2.2 miles or 3.5 km. 7 minutes driving, Dublin city 52 miles or 85 km. 1 hour 15 minutes driving, Kilkenny city 24 miles or 39 km. 31 minutes driving, Waterford city 50 miles or 81 km. 1 hour driving. Dublin airport 1 hour 8 minutes driving, Rosslare Ferry Port 1 hour 20 minutes driving.
BER Exempt (Building Energy Rating)
Eircode [Property Specific Post Code) R93 D5R6, GPS Location 52.8314954 (latitude), -6.8852993 (longitude)
For full details, including floorplans and mapping, contact Selling Agent David Ashmore