Luxury Outlook 2022
An ambitious exploration into high-end residential markets across the globe.
Dickinson, a part of the vital Bay Area south of Houston in Galveston County, was founded by a land grant from the Mexican government to John Dickinson in 1824. Dickinson acquired land located just north of present-day Dickinson on the bayou which also shares his name. There is no record of a settlement until 1850, but by 1860, Dickinson was listed as a stop on the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad. A post office appeared by 1890. The 1890s saw the first major growth of Dickinson as a town. Fred M. Nichols and eight other businessmen organized the Dickinson Land and Improvement Association to promote the sale of the areas fertile farmland. As the town expanded, Nichols donated 40 of his own acres as a public park and named it the Dickinson Picnic Grounds. The picnic area flourished for three decades until the Texas Coast Fair took it over in 1896 and a harness racetrack was built to attract more visitors. Local legend claims that the great harness racing champion, Dan Patch, ran at the