Own a true piece of Hillsborough and Hollywood history. This grand English Country Manor on three stunning acres was once the home to famed movie star, Bing Crosby. Relive the glory of a bygone era with +/- 10,000 square feet, 10 bedrooms, 10.5 bathrooms, stately public rooms including a magnificent ballroom/living room, a myriad of gracious private spaces, high ceilings, covered porches, sweeping grounds with expansive flat lawn, picturesque pool and terrace, and a chauffer’s apartment. Located on one of the most prestigious streets in Hillsborough and midway between San Francisco and Silicon Valley, this estate is one of the Peninsula’s most storied residences and grand entertaining venues. The property boasts a very private and serene setting with a gated entrance and oak trees encircling the estate once called “Oak Lei” by the original owners.
As the story goes, Bing Crosby had just finished a round of golf in Hillsborough when he was approached by the original owners and spontaneously invited to see the house. As soon as Bing saw the grand foyer with the wide oak staircase and impressive leaded glass picture window and door looking out to the tremendous lawn, the home was sold. There is no doubt that the ballroom was the scene of “White Christmas” sing-a-longs during the Crosby’s holiday season.
The estate’s grand ballroom tradition continues with its current owners’ appreciation and love of the songs Bing made famous. Through their organization, Jazz at the Ballroom, the home has hosted everyone from the legendary Freddy Cole to famous Grammy-winning trumpeter Chris Botti and The Hot Sardines.
The oak studded grounds with mature gardens and lots of space to explore combined with a grand English Manor make this home a magical enclave.
• English Tudor built in 1930 and designed by J.K. Ballantine, Jr. A major remodel including the kitchen, pantry, mud room, laundry room and bathrooms was completed in 2014 by Nyhus Design Group and ABW Construction. Extensive floor refinishing was completed in 2021. All upgrades were thoughtfully planned to respect the original architecture.
• Ballroom/Living Room with English Pickled Pine panels, fireplace, secret bar room, three sets of French doors opening to terrace and covered porch. • Warm library/music room with English Pickled Pine walls and built-in book shelves and fireplace. • Formal Dining Room opening to terrace and lawn.
• Gracious guest suite with new oak flooring and new Carrara Marble bathroom on main floor.
• Modern gourmet kitchen featuring custom inset white cabinetry, Wolf range, Sub-Zero 36” refrigerator and 36” freezer, 2 Bosch dishwashers, Thermador 24” wine cooler, Bianco Carrara counters, Barroca Soapstone eat-in island, separate dining area with built-in banquet, and walk in pantry.
• Office and family room/playroom on main floor.
• Primary bedroom suite on second floor with two full bathrooms and walk-in closet all overlooking gardens.
• 5 additional bedrooms on second floor including 3 full suites.
• Bunk room, full bath, and playroom on third floor.
• Heated pool surrounded by large terrace perfect for lounging and entertaining.
• 3-car garage with a one-bedroom apartment above.