Highlights from this week’s top news stories on luxury and global real estate, art, collectibles and home.
$4,900,000 USD | Maidens, Virginia | The Steele Group Sotheby’s International Realty
“The main entryway is flanked by marble columns and gilded Corinthian capitals, and opens onto a curved double staircase. There’s a colossal living room, a dining room that comfortably seats 10, a wood-paneled library, and a double-height ballroom that has a spiral wood staircase leading to an upper balcony.”
A Former Coal Baron’s Mansion is Up for Sale – Bloomberg Pursuits
Can this Billionaire’s Row Apartment Beat the Odds, Resell for $70 Million? – Forbes
Dream Homes: Five Tempting Properties for Sale in Tuscany – USA Today
Mel Gibson’s Onetime Connecticut Mansion Lists for $22.5 Million – Wall Street Journal
Home on Lake Tahoe Compound Featured in ‘Godfather II’ Asks $3.7 Million – Curbed
A Warm and Sophisticated Ski Home on the Slopes of Aspen Highlands – Mansion Global
This Bermuda-Inspired Beauty on 30A is an Entertainer’s Dream (and it’s for sale!) – Coastal Living
A Condé Nast ‘Cottage’ Asks $12.5 Million – Wall Street Journal
Home Where Jackie and John Kennedy First Met to Hit Market – Mansion Global
House Hunting in… Hong Kong – The New York Times
Former Baseball Star Jimmy Rollins Hits a Record Price with Mansion Purchase – Los Angeles Times
High Tech Boom Leads Bay Area Prices to Soar – Mansion Global
Alpine Ski Chalet with the Stamp of European Royalty Beckons Hong Kong Investors – South China Morning Post
The Power of Home: New Story Builds Shelter and Second Chances – RISMedia
10 Ultimate Waterfront Homes We’re Coveting Now – Elle Decor
Sotheby’s Set to Auction Rare, Flawless 102-Carat White Diamond in London – The Japan Times
You clicked and we counted – this week we’ll take a look back at your favorite blogs, videos, and homes from sothebysrealty.com in 2017.
From Ellen’s picturesque home in California to our partnership with New Story, let’s revisit the top five pieces from the Extraordinary Living blog in 2017.
Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC and New Story, the brand’s charitable partner and a certified 501(c)(3) non-profit organization, announced today that the Sotheby’s International Realty® global network of affiliated companies and sales associates have pledged to donate funds for the construction of over 150 homes in an upcoming New Story community in Mexico.
At the 2017 Sotheby’s International Realty Global Networking Event held in Las Vegas, Brett Hagler, CEO and co-founder of New Story, gave a moving presentation of the New Story mission to build communities of homes for those in need for $6,500 USD per home. Brett challenged the global audience of approximately 2,400 attendees to reach a goal of 100 home pledges during the two-day meeting. In the 32 hours that followed Hagler’s on-stage appearance, the goal was surpassed with over 150 homes pledged. Once fully-funded, these homes will provide a safe, sustainable living environment and unlock the potential for families to thrive.
How it Works:
Sotheby’s International Realty affiliated companies and sales associates made individual pledges to raise funds to cover the $6,500 USD cost of a sustainable home for a family in need. Once the pledges are funded:
- 100% of all donations raised through Sotheby’s International Realty affiliated companies and sales associates will be directly applied by New Story to hiring local workers and buying local materials for the construction of homes in Aguascalientes, Mexico.
- New Story’s operational costs are covered separately by a group of private donors called, The Builders, so all donations go straight to the field.
- New Story works with local partners in-country to help identify families who have the greatest need.
- Once families move in, New Story surveys the community over time to measure the exact impact a safe home has on the families’ lives.
“A safe home provides the foundation for health, education and opportunity. When I met Brett Hagler and the New Story team, I felt inspired by their mission to build sustainable homes for those in need. Teaming up with New Story as a charitable partner allowed us to extend the services we provide daily: to help people discover homes that allow them to live their best life. I am overwhelmed by the generosity of the Sotheby’s International Realty network in support of this mission.”
– Philip White, president and chief executive officer, Sotheby’s International Realty Affiliates LLC
“This was an extraordinary outpouring of generosity. We had ambitious expectations, but the Sotheby’s International Realty network went above and beyond. My favorite part was seeing how genuinely excited people were to give and join New Story’s mission. I know this is just the beginning of a brand partnership that together, will eventually change thousands of lives.”
– Brett Hagler, CEO and co-founder, New Story
The Sotheby’s International Realty® brand is proud to announce that it has partnered with New Story, a non-profit organization that puts 100% of donations toward transforming dangerous living environments into communities of safe, sustainable homes, for $6,000 a home.
Why did we choose New Story as a partner?
- 100% of donations go directly to the field. They operate with completely separate overhead cost so every dollar donated goes straight to building homes.
- Donors have the ability to see the exact family they’re sponsoring, along with the supplies and costs their donation is covering. In the beginning, the donor receives a photo of the family and their story. When the home is completed, they are delivered a move-in video to share in the excitement of this incredible effort.
- They hire local labor and buy domestic materials to boost the country’s economy. New Story does more than build houses – they provide jobs and economic stability for the communities they service.
Watch this video to get a closer look at New Story, who was just named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies” for 2017 in their not-for-profit sector.
Click here to learn more about New Story and meet the Guillaume family from Haiti, the recipients of the Sotheby’s International Realty brand donation.